by Greg Zuckerman | April 24 2017
What to Ask Before Buying a Domain for Your Business
Buying a domain name for your business is a quick, simple process. But while it only takes a couple minutes to register a name, that doesn't mean you shouldn't give it any thought. Your domain name will likely become one of your business's most important marketing assets. It will affect how people arrive at your website, what first impressions they have, and how well they remember you. All of these factors ultimately impact your bottom line, so it literally pays to choose your name wisely. Here are several questions you should consider as you prepare to register your name. 1.) Why are you buying a domain name? This one may seem simple, but it's important that you understand the fundamental reasons for registering a domain name. This helps to ensure that you're choosing a name that makes sense for your business. Registering a domain is important for several reasons:
- Credibility: A good domain looks professional and more trustworthy than a generic Wordpress domain or Facebook page.
- Memorability: A good domain makes it easy for visitors to remember your website and return again later.
- Information: Your domain is a destination for your website, where visitors can gather information themselves, instead of calling you and eating up your time.
- SEO: Some domains can help to improve your ranking in search results, if they include a keyword that is relevant to what you offer.
- Are there any numbers or dashes in your desired domain?
- Is the domain easy to remember?
- Is it short?
- Will you need additional services with your domain?
- Will you need to redirect your website?
- How many years do you want to register it?